Sunday, September 18, 2011

Bird Sitter

Because the weather was so hot this Summer, we hadn't gone to the Zoo since April. That's unusual for us. Normally, we go 3 or 4 times a year. We're behind schedule this year! So we headed to St. Louis on Labor Day. It was the first fairly cool day. Normally, we wouldn't go on a holiday just because of the crowds, but we all had the day off and we decided to chance it. We left early and got there a few minutes before the doors opened. It was nice because the crowds didn't hit until later. This Peacock family reminded me of a time when I was a kid and we did some peacock "sitting". Friends of ours lived in the country and raised the birds. Some eggs had just hatched and there was one born with a twisted leg. They asked us to "babysit" the young bird while they were out of town for a few days. We did, and the poor thing died after a hand full of days. I know, not a happy ending. My brother and I were naturally upset, but Mom told us that it wasn't our fault that the bird died, sometimes these things just happen. I guess the point of the story isn't that the bird died, but it's more the fact that we got to babysit a Peacock once!

2 comments:

the dogs' mother said...

The Engineer grew up in tiny farm town. I was so surprised to see peacocks swanning around - I expect chickens not peacocks!

Sadie J said...

Our friends have a farm on the very edge of town--there is a subdivision right across the road from them. Peacocks are loud! I'm not sure their neighbors admired the birds as much as I did!