Monday, June 25, 2012

Duck Days of Summer

I was sitting outside last Saturday morning with my niece having a yard sale when out of the corner of my eye I see a little bird.  Nothing unusual about that, there are birds everywhere.  But then I heard the cheeping and realized it was a duckling.  Then there was a second one! Hilarity soon ensued as the two of us chased the little things down and caught them.  Nobody ever told me ducklings are so fast!  We discovered that the neighbor boys were trying to catch one running around behind the house.  (We never caught that one)  They told us one of the cats had killed two before they knew they were there.  We never saw an adult duck so who knows were they came from.  I wish I had a good ending, but they died before we could get them set up with a pen. Since it was Saturday, I couldn't get ahold of the vet to see what she suggested and the feed shop didn't open until Monday.  We lost the first one Sunday morning, but the other seemed to be doing well.  Monday I bought chick feed and it was eating and drinking.  Plus, I had set up a little place for him in the yard so he could be in the grass, but I put him back in the cat carrier and brought him in for the night and he died early Tuesday morning.  I know wild things are hard to keep alive in captivity, especially if you have no clue what to do, but it made us all a little sad.

1 comment:

the dogs' mother said...

Interestingly we had our own duck drama around here. Neighbor called and asked if I was missing some ducks... We have a pond so anything remotely connected to ponds seems to belong to us. I've been brought frogs and turtles and newts that people find. I put them in. Ducks, on the other hand, do not mix with labradors. They visit but don't stay.