Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Another One


I don't normally post this kind of stuff, but this evening I read the suicide letter of Leelah Alcorn. I was scrolling through Tumblr and there it was. At first I hoped it was just some melodramatic thing some kid had written, and then realized it wasn't. And I cried. I didn't follow Leelah, but I follow some of the people who followed her and realized I have seen other things that she has posted in the past. I like to confirm things and a Google search led me to this article. The pain in her letter when speaking about her parents-- it kills me. I love my children to distraction... how could I ever not at least try to understand what they are going through? And yet, as we have seen over and over, so many parents can't-- or simply won't. They take it as a personal attack, as if it is as simple as a child acting out. I really don't have anything to say here. I took a moment to check I Should Be Laughing because Bob always does such a beautiful job of paying tribute to these lost souls and found he has.

It's one of the things that sometimes gets to me on Tumblr-- these children calling out for help. I try and send messages to the ones that scare me, hoping I can help in some little way. I'm just so sad about this.

2 comments:

the dogs' mother said...

Read it too - astonishing what some parents will do to their kids.

Bob Slatten said...

It breaks my heart how some parents treat their children in the name of religion.

Is unconditional love lost?