Saturday, October 4, 2008

One of My "Pets"



I love flowers, and I seem to have a thing for Praying Mantises. I think it goes back to when I was a kid and Mom found an egg case and stuck it by the door. When they hatched we had babies all over the place and I've been a fan ever since! Last summer when we were working on my son's bug collection for school I caught a large momma and brought it home. (She didn't make it into the collection!) Now we have several larger specimens in the yard. Even tho I try to go light on pesticides, we haven't seen many mantises this year, but the warm weather must have brought them out of hiding because we found quite a few today. This one made it to the top of the pump. Don't know where she thought she was going from there! I'm just really hoping they are all busy laying eggs this afternoon!

No comments: