Sunday, October 21, 2012

Predicting The Future


I was taking a little drive through the country yesterday afternoon when I came upon a persimmon tree. I stopped and picked up a few because I haven't had a persimmon in several years.  My folks have a tree on their property but the deer and raccoon usually get to them before we can.  Mom used to make persimmon pudding. Oh, so good! But very labor intensive. Lore has it that one can predict the weather by splitting the seeds and finding a fork, spoon or knife inside. Last year they had "forks" which means mild winter--and we had the mildest winter I've ever seen. This year everyone seems to be finding "spoons". That means snow. The ones I picked up are following suit. I guess I better get some snow boots since mine wore out several years ago!