Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Happy Birthday, John

I started getting into the Beatles a little less than a year before John Lennon was shot. Who knows how much of a fan I would have become, but I have a tendency to become obsessive about my interests and that event clenched it for me. The fact that there was a plethora of media at my disposal meant that I always had something new to explore at hand. Books and magazines, TV specials, new "unreleased" music. I was young and thought John was God's gift to human-kind and I cried countless tears over the waste of it. I was a total nut-case at times (like when I was in NYC and we drove by the Dakota). It's probably a good thing there wasn't the internet and Tumblr! I think I drove my friends crazy with my obsession. Think how much worse it could have been! (I still have my binder where I stored all the articles and pictures and assorted whatevers I managed to collect!)

1 comment:

the dogs' mother said...

My Dad brought back a record from LA in about 1967-ish. He asked a store clerk what was good. I think it was Sgt. Pepper. It is packed away with all The Engineer's records. An antique....