Saturday, March 21, 2020

Illinois Is Closed


This is my produce cooler. It's looked like this all week. Basically, anything that comes in can go directly to my display case. For the most part, people have been understanding. I've been lucky and been able to get most of the basics, but in a limited supply. I don't know about next week, though. Potatoes, carrots, lettuce-- all things that my suppliers are iffy about. (Plus, getting meat, bread, milk, and eggs is nearly impossible.) We've never had sustained crowds like this in our little store. Sure, before a big snowstorm, or when we've had one-day meat sales. But that's been for a day, not 10 days running. What gets me is how many people act like it was a sudden thing. I stocked up a month ago because I knew it was coming, so, not so sudden, folks! 

The schools are closed and for the most part, people aren't bringing their kids into the stores. But... so are the restaurants. No more going for coffee for the old men. And they're bored already. The older folks are the ones who should stay home, but instead they come into the store every day, just to wander around, wanting to visit. I'm going to end up fired because it infuriates me. Not only are they exposing themselves unnecessarily, but they're exposing all of us. They act like it's a party, that it's fun. (It's not fun, John!) 

I'm tempted to make myself a T-shirt that says "stay back and don't talk to me!" (I'm pretty sure it still wouldn't get me fired.)


2 comments:

Bob said...

Just stay safe, and stay back.

the dogs' mother said...

The tshirt could say "Deaf and Mute"
stay healthy!