Saturday, August 1, 2009

Lost Luck


My Dad was allergic to cats, so we always had dogs and I considered myself a dog person. Then I met my husband, who was (and still is) an avowed cat person. He converted me. I understand people's attraction to dogs because of their companionship. But I think I prefer cats because they don't need the constant attention. It's the same reason I enjoy my children now--they can take care of themselves! I'm apparently not a very "motherly" sort of person! Our oldest cat is Lucky. We found her when she was only around 10 or 11 weeks old. The prevailing theory is that she came in on a farm truck. I found her uptown stuck behind a planter. I think she probably got scared and tried to hide. She was half wild--I don't believe she had been handled much. She never wanted to be a house cat so she spends most of her time outside. When she was young she liked to get into fights! One fight resulted in an infection that almost killed her and she has had skin troubles ever since that has resulted in her looking a bit mangy. She is very affectionate with us, but never let other people pet her. And we haven't seen her since Monday. She has disappeared on us before, but never for this long. I'm hoping she just shows up again, but with each passing day I'm starting to worry.

No comments: