Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Another One


I don't normally post this kind of stuff, but this evening I read the suicide letter of Leelah Alcorn. I was scrolling through Tumblr and there it was. At first I hoped it was just some melodramatic thing some kid had written, and then realized it wasn't. And I cried. I didn't follow Leelah, but I follow some of the people who followed her and realized I have seen other things that she has posted in the past. I like to confirm things and a Google search led me to this article. The pain in her letter when speaking about her parents-- it kills me. I love my children to distraction... how could I ever not at least try to understand what they are going through? And yet, as we have seen over and over, so many parents can't-- or simply won't. They take it as a personal attack, as if it is as simple as a child acting out. I really don't have anything to say here. I took a moment to check I Should Be Laughing because Bob always does such a beautiful job of paying tribute to these lost souls and found he has.

It's one of the things that sometimes gets to me on Tumblr-- these children calling out for help. I try and send messages to the ones that scare me, hoping I can help in some little way. I'm just so sad about this.

2 comments:

the dogs' mother said...

Read it too - astonishing what some parents will do to their kids.

Bob said...

It breaks my heart how some parents treat their children in the name of religion.

Is unconditional love lost?