Sunday, April 25, 2010

New Toy



One of the first things I ever bought when I got old enough to start baby-sitting was a record player. Not just a record player, no, this was one that played cassettes and 8-tracks, also! I thought it was a beautiful thing! I've had several different stereo systems since that first one and they have always included a turn-table. But about a year-and-a-half ago my stereo died. Although I had kept my eyes open for a new one, I didn't have much luck. Then I heard the great stereo gods had created a stereo that would actually record vinyl to CD. Oh, life was good! So many of my albums have gotten scratched and warped over the years--basically I believed they were just good for framing and hanging on the wall! But several months before Christmas I saw a picture of this stereo in the Kohl's ad and KNEW that was the one! So of course, every time it was in the flyer, I ran over--and they had none. Zip. Nadda. The last time it was in the ad I decided I would check one more time and then head North to the next nearest Kohl's. Which is about 90 miles. I know, crazy. But I get obsessed with things. The stereo gods smiled on me that day, however, and there was amazingly several on the shelf! I love the little pops and crinkles an album makes, unlike the smoothness of something digital. And it's been amazing--so far most of my albums have played without any skips or warps!

No comments: