Saturday, April 4, 2009

Down Wind


Spring is here! The forsythia and crocus have done their things and already are starting to fade. The daffodils and tulips are making their appearance. And the ornamental pear trees are blooming out. They are beautiful in the early spring covered with their bundles of petite white flowers. They are popular in our town--the streets are lined with gorgeous white trees right now. The ornamental pear is well shaped and grows quickly, which I thought was a good choice when we moved into this house 10 years ago and realized the only tree in the yard was a blue spruce by the garage. Something I didn't know about them, tho, was the smell. While they are blooming they put off a horrible smell that reminded me of something, but I couldn't quite put my finger on what. Then it came to me Thursday at the park. My husband and I had gone to Subway and gotten sandwiches and stopped at the park to eat. As I took my first bite I got a whiff of rotten tomato. Only I could tell by the taste that the tomato on my sandwich wasn't bad. Looking over my shoulder, I realized we were downwind of a pear tree! And it hit me--they smell like rotten tomatoes! Thank goodness they only bloom for a couple of weeks!

No comments: