Saturday, July 10, 2010

Home Upkeep

I bought our house at auction 11 years ago. It's a big house, 10 rooms, 3 full bathrooms, nice sized utility room, and a mudroom. Plus a double lot with two garages. It was an older house that had been added onto in 1995. It was a spur of the moment thing, the buying of the house. And right now I can't afford it. The utilities are high, and alot of the remodeling was apparently done by amateurs. We had to have the plumbers come this week to run a snake to the sewer, except there was no clean-out, and they couldn't find where the line left the house. It turned into an all-day thing. $500 and a torn up flower bed later our drains work and we have a clean-out, but I suspect this is only the beginning. Things are probably going to start falling apart. Part of me knows we need to unload it, but the other part of me really likes it here and wants to stay. I've been planting stuff since we first moved in and I don't want to leave my plants! The food producers, like the rhubarb, gooseberries and asparagus, are just now really going strong. If we move, I'll have to start all over! And what if the new owners don't want to mess with it and dig it all up? Oh, the horror! I think it would physically hurt me! Plus, there is my burning bush, butterfly bush, peonies, lilies, iris beds and other miscellaneous plants. I'm hoping the money problem resolves itself soon and I can stay here. In the mean time, I'm just glad I don't have to go to the laundromat any more!

No comments: