Saturday, July 10, 2010

Three Sisters

A friend had mentioned "three sisters" on facebook and being curious, I looked it up. Turns out it refers to an Indian method of gardening. Our garden spot is small and in a low spot--not the best location. Last year we had so much standing water I didn't mess with it at all--I just let the sunflowers take over. This year, after I had read about the three sisters, I decided to give it a try. Unfortunately, we again had a wet spring and I began to suspect there would be no garden this summer, either. But I got stubborn. At several different points I was tilling and planting in the rain. And I had to modify what I read to my circumstances. Then it rained and rained some more. The plants started growing, but half the time my garden had standing water. When we got back from vacation, it appeared that there was more weeds than plants. My husband said to just forget it, but again I got stubborn and started hoeing and tilling and found there was more plants than at first believed. A bit yellow, yes, and the tomato plants are a bit scrawny, but my hard work paid off. Everything is turning green and is growing. I've replanted a few things, so fingers crossed, I'll get some beans yet! Even the neighbor's cat, Oreo, likes it!

No comments: