Friday, January 21, 2011

It Snowed!...Again

Weather moves in cycles, or so I read. It seemed when I was young we had real winters with snow deep enough to go sledding and build snowmen and igloos--igloos that lasted for weeks. I remember bundling up and playing in the snow for hours. It was cold, but not frigid. And Spring came when it was supposed too--March, maybe April if we had a long winter, like the year I graduated and we went to school into June because we had missed so many days. But since I've had my kids we have had few winters where there was more than an inch or so, and rarely more than once or twice a winter. In fact, we've had such warm winters on occasion, I've had flowers coming up in February. Yesterday we had our third measurable snow and it's only the middle of January. The forecast shows more coming, if you can believe the forecasts! Somehow, I'm just not prepared! I don't have any snow boots or long-johns anymore. I don't even have a good winter coat. I guess with all of the mild winters I haven't replaced anything as they have worn out. I would eventually love to move to Florida to be close to some friends and family but I will probably stay in Illinois for the rest of my life. Maybe I should start watching the post-winter sales, maybe I can get some cold-weather gear for next year! The thing I find funny is the fact that my brother who lives in Cheyenne, Wyoming is having better weather than we are!

No comments: