Thursday, March 17, 2011

Watercolor

I wanted to be an artist. My first year in college I majored in art. My Dad was constantly asking me what kind of job I was going to get with my degree and I didn't have an answer for him, so my sophomore year I changed my major to Psychology. Looking back, I wish I would have stood my ground. But I don't believe in regrets. It gets us nowhere and just makes us miserable. Imagine my happiness when my daughter picked up where I left off! She, like so many young girls, started out with an interest in anime that turned into an interest in animation. She is one of those rare people that knew what she wanted to go to college for when she was a freshman in High School. One day she came home exasperated because her Art teacher had made an assignment out of a contest that a local restaurant was hosting. The contest theme was to do a picture of a local landmark. Since my daughter didn't really want to do it, she did a simple line drawing of the Veteran's Memorial in our town and slapped some watercolor paint on it. I was a bit aggravated because I knew she could do much better than she did. So, again, imagine our surprise when she came home and said she had placed and her picture would be hanging in the restaurant! That's been 4 or 5 years ago, and I've always thought I should take a picture of it. Well, we ate breakfast there a few mornings ago, and I actually had my camera with me. Every time I see it hanging there, I just remember how much she didn't want to do it!

No comments: